The World Packaging Organisation is a non-profit, non-governmental, international federation of national packaging institutes and associations, regional packaging federations and other interested parties including corporations and trade associations.
Founded September 6, 1968 in Tokyo by visionary leaders from the global packaging community, the purposes of the organisation include to:
- Encourage the development of packaging technology, science, access and engineering;
- Contribute to the development of international trade; and
- Stimulate education and training in packaging.
Primary activities of the organisation today are to promote education through meetings, special activities and publications, including this web site; to sponsor an international packaging design awards program; and to facilitate contact and exchange among the various national institutes of packaging.
Our objective is to:
• To bring to the attention of African states the role that packaging can play in addressing some of the major development challenges facing the continent.
• To build packaging capability in Africa by promoting and maintaining the status and business of those engaged in packaging, and by the recognition of packaging as a profession, this to be achieved by international collaboration, and by establishing, publishing and disseminating educational standards and training information, examinations, and the awarding of bursaries and qualifications as may seem appropriate from time to time.
• To encourage the competitiveness of African exports by assisting where possible in the improvement of product presentation through effective packaging.